Sunday, June 29, 2014

Breath Test day and recipe

I took the breath test this morning.  I was jittery and weak during the test.  I've never experienced that before while doing the test so it's probably due to the lack of food for the past 13 days and then just water all morning.  Fingers crossed the results go well.  I made soup during the test to eat after.  I ate a big bowl when I was finished and 3 hours later I am starving.  I didn't feel hungry like this at all during the elemental diet.  Not at all.  I never really felt hungry at all.  Because I am coming off the diet, I put the cooked chicken through a meat grinder so my body could digest it easier.  I may have opted to leave it out entirely if I had amino acids to supplement with.  I double checked all my ingredients with the Monash University FODMAP App.  I trust this source above all else.

I adapted this soup from Rodale's Basic Natural Foods Cookbook.

8 Vegetable Soup

Ingredients

  • 2-3 T garlic infused oil or ghee
  • 2 bunches green onion
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • 1 potato
  • 2 sm or 1 lg sweet potato
  • 2 sm zucchini chipped
  • 1/2 lb string beans
  • 6 cups homemade meat broth
  • 2 med sz tomatoes or 40g sundried tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 3 leaves basil or 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 8 leaves spinach, finely shredded
  • 16 oz meat of your choice
  • 1 cup canned coconut milk or dairy substitute of your choice (just be careful about FODMAPs)

Directions

  1. Melt oil in large soup pot. Add green onions and saute. Then add carrots, potatoes, zucchini, sweet potatoes, and green beans. Stir in stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add herbs and pepper, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
  2. Let soup cool, then remove the bay leaf and puree using a hand blender. Return to stove and stir in shredded spinach, cooked meat, and milk. Adjust seasoning, if desired. Simmer until heated through.


No comments:

Post a Comment