Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Let the gain begin...

On Sunday after my breath test I ate the blended vegetable soup for lunch and dinner.  Monday morning I work up and had gained a full pound.  I didn't do much physical activity on Sunday but I also didn't ingest many calories, probably not more than 1,200.  

Monday I started the day with a smoothie - spinach, carrots, strawberries, 1/2 banana, pineapple, blueberries, coconut milk and pea protein powder.  A good balance of fat and protein to keep me full but not too many calories, about 350. All the ingredients were weighed to make sure the FODMAPs were kept low.  I worked out hard lifting weights.  Had the blended vegetable soup for lunch and dinner, again around 300-400 calories..  Walked over 3 miles after dinner.  Gained another 0.6 pounds!  My husband is a science guy and believes calories in/calories out = weight loss or gain.  So he is pretty stunned that my body can gain weight when I have eaten so few calories.

The good part is I feel better.  Sunday was pretty rough.  My body didn't really like the quick transition back to eating.  Monday I felt pretty much back to normal.  I'm still sticking to the blended soup and smoothies for a few days.

Oh, and the reason for the pea protein is that I have a dairy allergy and yes, I am allergic to all of it, lactose, casein, whey, all of it.  I used egg white protein for a while but I was having a lot of problem with my stomach itching and thought it was the eggs in my diet.  In hindsight  I think it was just FODMAPs in general that made me itch.  Chris Kresser mentioned in a recent podcast that there is a new brand of beef protein powder out there called PurePaleoProtein by Designs for Health but it's 3 times the price (at $68) of your regular protein powder and is sweetened with stevia.

It's beautiful here today, sunny and close to 90, not something we generally see in the Pacific Northwest prior to 4th of July.  Hope you all have an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment