Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Surviving without garlic

I don't know about you but I love everything about garlic except that it's high FODMAP.  I was really sad about not being able to incorporate it in my salad dressings, stir frys, salsa, everything.  So I did some research and found that I could have garlic infused oils.  I ordered a fancy organic garlic infused olive oil from my favorite food delivery service Azure Standard.  It arrived and I was devastated to find that there was actual garlic sludge in the bottom of the bottle.  Yikes! Trader Joes does have an organic garlic infused olive oil tha is clear and t I have been buying and using it salad dressings.  For my stirfrys I have infused coconut oil in my crockpot but saw recently that you need to be very careful to get it up to an appropriate temperature to kill off botulism.  Who knew garlic was a carrier for botulism??  I figure the time in the wok will kill off the botulism but I'm not sure how comfortable I am infusing my own olive oil and using it cold for dressings.  

We have a garden bed full of garlic with beautiful scapes right now.  I wonder about the scapes and if they are low FODMAP since the tops of onions are okay.  Would love to experiment and try to make a salsa but I'm unsure about tomatillos.  There are several blogs with low FODMAP salsa containing tomatillos but the recipes also contain a large can of canned tomatoes, a slice of onion or 3 cloves of garlic so I'm unsure how reliable they are.  That's the most frustrating part, trying to find reliable informtion on the web.

I'll let you know if I come up with a decent recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment