Monday, June 16, 2014

The beginning....

I was diagnosed with SIBO (Small Intestinol Bacterial Overgrowth) in early December of 2013 after years of dealing with abdominal pain, bloating and constipation.  By the time I was diagnosed my belly was also starting to itch also, especially after meals.  Mild symptoms compared to accounts I've read from others.

These were my results:



I opted to do a round of conventional antibiotics to start.  Rifaximin 550mg, 3 times a day and Neomycin 500mg, 8am and 8pm followed by this herbal protocol prescribed by my ND:
  • Motilpro - 3 capsules, 3 times a day, away from food to help with the Migratory Motor Complex (small intestine waves that move food down your digestive tract).
  • Intestin-ol - once a day with food to help kill off the bugs.
  • Lactoprime - one capsule twice a day away from food to help restore balance.
  • Herbal biotic - 1 tsp, 3 times a day to help kill the bugs.  This concoction came in a bottle and is what is called a "kitchen sink" product because it's got a bit of everything.
The GAPS or SCD diet was also recommended at that time.  It all sounded like no fun so I started taking the antibiotics and scheduled a skype appt at the NCNM SIBO clinic.  Oh how glad I am that I did and how I wish that I hadn't.  The ND from NCNM said I needed to do SCD diet but restrict FODMAPs and emailed me a handy dandy little chart that showed just how limited the options were.  Who eats 2 asparagus???  I created my own spreadsheet and will upload it once I figure out how :)

The best resources I have found are Dr. Siebecker's site siboinfo.com (listen to all the podcasts!), SCD legal/illegal list on Breaking the Vicious Cycle, the Monash University FODMAP app http://med.monash.edu.au/cecs/gastro/fodmap/low-high.html and all the recipes on AgainstAllGrain.com (substitute macadamia nuts wherever cashews are called for).

No comments:

Post a Comment