Saturday, June 28, 2014

Soy Sauce Substitute

I am making this soy sauce substitute today.  When I was doing strict SCD/Low FODMAP and couldn't use tamari in my stir frys I used coconut aminos.  They are so expensive, I didn't know how they fell in terms of FODMAPs, and the bottles are so small that I knew there had to be a better way.  I discovered the recipe linked above and decided to give it a try.  Leave out the garlic granules, of course.  For the blackstrap molasses I substituted buckwheat honey and only used half.  It's unclear where buckwheat honey falls on the FODMAP list but honey is usually only a problem if you have trouble with fructose malabsorption.  I use a splash of the substitute when sauteing greens.  It really was a decent substitute.  I wouldn't say I couldn't taste the difference but it wasn't completely off putting either.  Since my doctor says I can have good quality (fermented) tamari I usually use that when stirfrying but I'm going to keep this on hand for when I saute just greens.  If you haven't tried Red Boat fish sauce you are missing out.  It tastes so much better than any other fish sauce I've tried.

Soy Sauce Substitute (adapted from The Clothes Make the Girl)
Ingredients:
1 cup beef broth (I use my beef/chicken meat broth)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons cider vinegar

2 teaspoons buckwheat honey
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Red Boat fish sauce



1. Place the following in a small saucepan: broth, balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, honey, black pepper and, ground ginger. Bring to a brief boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer — small bubbles should just break on the surface. Cook until reduced to about 2/3 cup — this takes about 7-10 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the salt and fish sauce; stir to combine and taste to make sure it’s salty enough for you. Store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days (I've stored for longer and haven't noticed spoilage). This sauce can be used in any recipe that calls for soy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment