Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What I Ate Camping

A lot of meat!  

My usual breakfast was scrambled eggs with a bit of avocado (under 30g) and homemade low FODMAP salsa and a banana or a banana walnut muffin (made with nut/coconut flours).  Some mornings I would grill up a couple of sausages.  Illegal ones as I know they were seasoned with a small amount of onion and garlic.

Lunch was a mismash, sometimes on the run, cold beef vegetable soup (not the most satisfying), kale salad with a salmon patty or beef jerky, a banana and some potato chips or plantain chips.  Not that I advise eating potato chips, but they are low FODMAP if you don't eat too many.  I packed 3 servings of stir fry with peanut sauce as well and that was great because it's not that bad cold.  Between the stirfy and the soup it was easy to pack 6 lunches.  We were gone 2 weeks and sometimes we were driving or cycling over lunch which is where the beef jerky and chips comes in handy :)  I packed a lot of kale from our garden and made a handful of kale salads because they pack really well.

Dinner was either hot dogs, turkey burger or bison burger on a mac nut bun.  So filling there is no need for sides.  My guys sometimes wanted to go out for a meal and in that case I almost always ordered a burger and smuggled in my own bun.  I'm not going to lie, eating out is the hardest part.  I indulged in a bit of bbq sauce one meal out and totally cheated toward the end. Beer!  Bend, Oregon is the capital for beer, I swear.  The last restaurant we went to had burgers but they were 1/2 lb of meat.  1/2 of a pound!  There was no way, so I ordered chicken satay with peanut sauce.  I knew the sauce would probably have garlic and onion in it but when the chicken came it was covered in a curry seasoning that probably had garlic and onion as well. That was the last meal before the drive home so I just ate it.  I think I would have been more strict if my last breath test had been better.  

Surprisingly I didn't experience any bloating outside the norm even though I sometimes when overboard on the FODMAPs or downright illegal on all accounts.

Oh and wine, I drank way too much wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment