Saturday, July 5, 2014

Camping preparation

We are going camping soon so I have been trying to plan food.  It's going to be hard to eat enough fruits and veggies while staying in low FODMAP territory.  My guess is I'll be living off of protein and nuts.  So today I am making beef jerky.  This is a good roundup of recipes.  You need to modify for FODMAPs.  I made a BBQ beef jerky using the bbq sauce recipe in this book.  I also made the carne asada beef jerky from the same book.  For the 3rd I wanted a smoked pepper jerky so I used tamari (or coconut aminos), liquid smoke, a touch of honey and lots of fresh ground pepper.  We'll see how that turns out.  I think all in all I sliced and marinated about 4 lbs of meat.  I really wanted to try this recipe but I wasn't sure my cookie press would do what a jerky gun would do :)  Store bought jerky is obviously out of the question since it always contains onion and garlic or sugar.

I continue to bloat during the day.  It's hard for me to tell if it's as bad as it was before I did the elemental diet.  Still waiting for test results but my guess is I starved some but not all of the bacteria.  Hopefully camping and further limiting my FODMAP intake will help.

Yesterday I actually drank coconut oil with my fruit and veggie smoothie.  I have been adding full fat coconut milk to the smoothie for the healthy fats but figured I'd just do a shot of oil instead.  I've been reading about the ketogenic diet.  My body did so well on the high fat/low carb homemade elemental diet that it got me wondering.  I'm not sure it's healthy longterm so I need to do some more reading..   Have any of you tried it??

No comments:

Post a Comment