Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Chicken Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce

I made a chicken stir fry yesterday for lunch.  I always make a big batch to divide into 3-4 meals. The whole low FODMAP thing makes cooking meals on the fly a pain.  I usually add bell peppers (under 150g)  and zucchini (under 200g) but I didn't have them and it was fine without. I spiralize the zucchini. If you don't have a spiralizer, you need one of these.  Don't believe me? Check out this blog. I buy large bags of frozen organic peas, green beans, and broccoli at Costco to keep on hand.  I also buy organic chicken breasts from Costco too, bake them, chop them up and freeze them.  When I am making meals I just thaw out what I need.

So here's what I did...

Chicken Stir fry with Peanut Sauce
Peanut Sauce:
1/3 cup Peanut Butter (or a mix of nut butters)
1 T rice (or coconut) vinegar
1/4 cup Tamari (or coconut aminos)
1 T fish sauce (Red Boat is the best)
1 T honey
Srirachi sauce optional (recipe here, leave out the dates!)

Place it all in a bowl and stir in enough hot water to get it to the consistency you desire.

Veggies:
275g Cabbage, sliced into fine shreds
74g Carrots, sliced thin
150g Broccoli
70g Peas
140g Green Beans
150g Bell Pepper (I use orange, yellow or red)
200g Zucchini, spiralized

12oz cooked diced chicken breast (or other protein)
1 T garlic infused oil
Ginger, about an inch

Heat oil over medium heat in your wok or large pan.  Use a microplane or fine shredder to shred ginger into pan.  I like about an inch or so.  Add the cabbage and carrots and stir.  Place a small amount of water in the pan, a tablespoon or two and cover.  Let steam for 3-5 minutes. The longer you let it steam the softer the vegetables.  Add the rest of the vegetables and the chicken, give it a stir and add in a bit more water to prevent sticking and put the lid back on.

Once the vegetables and chicken are thawed/warm, add the peanut sauce.  Stir well and turn the heat down to med-low to prevent burning.  You can let it continue to cook to soften or eat when vegetables are crisper.  Divide equally into 4 servings.


There is a lot of sauce so you don't taste much of the vegetables, just the way I like it.  You can use less sauce and if you are having trouble with nuts you can leave the nut butter out.  I actually dislike most vegetables but the sauce makes the stir fry yummy.

The estimated calorie breakdown is:
345 calories per serving
31.5g protein  (36% of the calories)
16g fat  (46% of the calories)
15g carbs (17% of the calories)

If you want more calories, you can add in 1/2 cup of coconut milk to the peanut sauce, this will boost calories by 50 per serving.  Or you could increase protein and fat by scrambling an egg and stirring it in your bowl.  And I just realized I didn't include any green onions or chives.  These can be added to the stir fry toward the end or sprinkled on top as a garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment