Sunday, July 6, 2014

More camping prep

Made a batch of these granola bars today to take camping.  To make them FODMAP compliant, substitute macadamia nuts for cashews, omit the dates and the chocolate chips.  I add in cocao nibs in place of the chocolate chips because my gut is good and my ND says it's okay.  I also add in 1/4 cup of goji berries 'cause I like them.  I'm not sure where gojis fall in terms of FODMAPs but I only use 1/4 cup and get more than 32 servings out of a batch so I figure the amount I'm eating would be low anyway.  I eat these like dessert, not as a meal or snack since snacks go out the door with the SIBO diagnosis.

I made a version of these hamburger buns.  Again, substitute macadamia nuts for cashews. The updated version of the recipe in her cookbook doesn't require separating the eggs.  I make 8 buns instead of 4.  I don't like that much "bread".  If you can't use ghee, use palm shortening.  I think the coconut oil would make them flatten too much.  I keep these in the freezer and thaw them when I use them. 

I made these crepes for breakfast this morning.  I didn't use the arrowroot powder.  They are quite eggy but serve their purpose.  I topped them with peanut butter, bananas and chocolate.  I made the chocolate by putting about 1 Tbl cocoa with 1 tsp honey and 1/2 tsp coconut oil, microwave 15 seconds and stir.  

If you don't have Danielle Walker's cookbook Against All Grain I really encourage you to get it, it's only $9.99 on the kindle.  I've been able to make most of the recipes low FODMAP and they are all great.  I've checked out just about every paleo cookbook in the 4 library systems I have access to and her recipes are by far the most adaptable.  I used to love Elana's Pantry but she often uses large amounts of almond flour and to keep it low FODMAP the servings would be miniscule.  Spunky Coconut also has several ingredients she uses that are high FODMAP, dates for one, and she uses stevia in a lot of recipes, which is low FODMAP but I don't do well with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment