Friday, July 4, 2014

4 lbs up post Elemental Diet

The weight is coming back on quicker than it came off.  It's really weird because I have been eating mostly blended soups and smoothies.  This morning I had scrambled eggs with a bit of low FODMAP salsa and avocado (staying well under the allotted amount of 30 grams), and a small side of sweet potato salad.  It's by far the most solid meal I've had since ending the elemental diet.  Potatoes and sweet potatoes are not SCD compliant but are low FODMAP.  All my tests have shown that other than the bacteria, my gut lining is healthy so I sometimes "cheat" and eat foods that are outside SCD but within FODMAP.

I made the salsa last night. I roasted about 6 sm roma tomatoes along with a bunch of tomatillos and a few spicy peppers.  While they were cooling I removed the skins from the tomatoes.  I threw them in the food processor with chives, cilantro, juice from one lime, and a good sprinkling of cumin and blended to the thickness I desire.  I wouldn't go crazy and eat a bunch since there is no information in the Monash University FODMAP app about limes or tomatillos but there are lots of low FODMAP recipes out there that use tomatillos instead of tomatoes so one could make the assumption that they are okay.  But I figure a tablespoon here and there as a topping should be fine.

I really have to say that things were so much easier while doing the elemental diet.  It was really nice not having to think about what to eat, not being hungry all the time and not having to plan ahead.  Just down the oil, aminos, multis and honey and go.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.  The post weight gain is really annoying because I like being thinner than I normally am, especially around the middle!  My stomach is a lot fuller looking.  Is it water?  Is it gas?  Is it just built up food lingering in my gut?

Speaking of which the Erythromycin 50mg at bedtime has been a very effective prokinetic whereas the herbal concoction Motilpro didn't do much of anything for me.  Not having to worry about getting backed up is so nice.

For those of you in the US, have a great 4th of July.  We usually don't get summer until after the 4th of July but it has come early this year and it's a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment