Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Sandwich bun trial from Against All Grain

I finally got around to making these sandwich buns tonight.  The recipe says it makes 10 but I'm not much of a bread person so I'd make them into at least 18.  


This thing's almost as thick as a muffin!  I'll never get it in my mouth with a burger in it. I like just enough bread to hold the condiments and toppings, not to mention the FODMAP load if you just make 10.  Oh, and I also subbed macadamia nuts for the cashews.  I miss cashews.

My husband tasted the batter and said, "that tastes like bread", the highest compliment he could give since he bakes with real flours and is very picky about his bread.

I got the best result for a thin bun by just spreading the batter in a circle on the pan.  It spread a little bit and was pretty thin but even when I spread the batter thinly in the muffin rings they still puffed up quite a bit. 



These were the same thickness when I put them in the oven. The one on the right was in the ring, the one on the left not (my kind of bun).  The giants in the back were the ones that I filled 2/3rds full as the recipe calls for.

The real test will come when I make an actual burger.  These babies are not supposed to fall apart which her previous recipe had a tendency to do.  The addition of arrowroot took care of that, of course If you leave the arrowroot out they will be a bit fragile but will still be delicious!

Verdict:  Yum!  I froze the buns and then thawed and used one today.  It wasn't crumbly and it didn't get too soggy.  I'll definitely be keeping these in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment