Friday, June 26, 2015

Aquaporins

FInally got off my butt and asked NCNM for the spec sheet on aquaporins.  I came up positive on the Array 10 for corn+aquaporins and tomato+aquaporins.  Tomorrow will be the first full day of elimination (my old digestive enzymes had egg white, the replacements came today).  Anyway, here is an excerpt from the Cyrex spec sheet on aquaporins:

Aquaporins are found in all cells and help move water through the cells in an organized manner.  Aquaporin 4 (AQR-4), is a water channel protein in the CNS and is expressed in astrocytes, particularly in the astrocyte food processes at the blood brain barrier.  Some environmental proteins such as spinach, soy, corn and tomato contain aquaporin that have similarity to the brain AQR-4. Generation of antibodies against AQR-4 in general may contribute to the development of immunity and/or progression of multiple sclerosis.

Well alrighty then, I guess that ends that. Even if that paragraph is overblown I don't see any point in risking it. So, no corn or tomato until these antibodies go away which means SIBO gone and gut healed (if that ever happens!).

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, never heard of aquaporins. I haven't had the test but don't eat corn,soy or tomatoes for AI issues. Wondering about spinach? I eat a lot of it. Any thoughts? Will you retest these at some point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure when or if I will retest. I was positive for corn and tomato aquaporins but negative for soy and spinach. I have no plans to avoid spinach at this point but I certainly wouldn't add it in every day giving my obviously permeable gut :(

      Delete