Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hello Hashimoto's

You know how you go to one doctor and they give you an opinion and then you relay that opinion to another doctor and they don't openly disagree or contradict they just kind of politely nod.  That did NOT happen today.  When skype clicked on today Dr. Keller was ready to go.  When I said that my other ND blew off the thyroid stuff and said it was nothing to worry about she threw her arms up and made a WTF face :)  I love her.  I loved the honesty.  She has tiptoed around his recommendations in the past but this she could not leave alone.  So she is setting me up with a thyroid medication that I need to taper up and then back down over the course of 60 days and then we'll test again to see how my thyroid responded.  I also need to take my temperature several times a day.  You'd think there would be a device I could wear that would do this for me, but apparently not.

I have not been sticking to the AIP protocol but in light of recent information I think I need to give it another try.  She mentioned cross reactivity with millet, sorghum and rice so I guess those are out for the foreseeable future in addition to wheat.  Nuts and eggs are just so hard for me to give up.  And the spices :(   I never thought I could miss cumin or chili powder so much.

She is also setting me up with a ASI kit so I can test my adrenals.  I would love to do the carb challenge to see what happens with my insulin but I can't see any realistic way of eating 75 grams of carbs with lunch!  

She also agrees that I should switch from LDE to LDN in light of my thyroid stuff.  She doesn't think I'll have a problem with it since I sleep like a rock but she stills want me to taper up from 1.5mg to 3mg then to 4.5mg over the course of a week and a half.

On the bright side my Wellness Meats order showed up.  Who knew a bison liver was so tiny.  The beef livers I get are HUGE.  The bison liver fits in the palm of my hand.  It's got to be just a piece of the beef liver.  Can't wait for the weekend when we'll crack open the beef bacon, slice it up and fry it.  I don't eat pigs.  I had a pet pig who slept with me.  I just can't eat them.  I am most excited about the liverwurst.  It's full of offal which is supposed to be uber healthy and a really big part of healing your gut and nourishing your body.  Someday I might get up enough courage to make these but for now, I'll stick with my liverwurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment