Sunday, February 15, 2015

Thoughts on The Healthy Gut Summit

This is going to sound really mean, but I am so tired of hearing Donna Gates.  She constantly tried to steer the conversation to fermented foods, yeast overgrowth, autism, how she brought coconut water/oil/ferments to America, blah, blah, blah.  Sorry, that was mean but I got really tired of her talking about how paleo diet is terrible for you (too much protein, too much saturated fat she says) and how high fat diets leads to a decrease in Bifido bacteria (she doesn't say what fats were included in the study nor that eating fiber mitigates the decrease in beneficial bacteria).  She clearly has an agenda different than mine.

Things I have learned:
Dr. Olmstead - stress kills Bifido bacteria :(  Those are the good bugs you really want in your colon. Serratia Peptidase sold as Serralase is a good biofilm buster.  You take up to 4 tablets twice a day and it goes where it needs to go in the body.  Might have to give that a try!

Liz Lipski - You get a quicker bowel response from Magnesium Citrate and Magnesium Oxide because your body doesn't absorb it as well as other forms of Magnesium such as Malate, Glycinate and Taurate.

Dr. Siebecker - hypothyroidism causes slow motility. 5 HTP stimulates the MMC (I have used this in the past and it worked for a while and then my body figured out I was tricking it).  If you (or someone you love) gets food poisoning or gastrointestinal distress, take supplements to help your body prevent SIBO.  Supplements mentioned - Berberine, Goldenseal, Oregon Grape, Allimed, Cinnamon, Oil of Oregano.  I know for myself I am going to keep Cinnamon and Oil of Oregano essential oils on hand for this use.

Dr. Wentz - if you have hypothyroid you should measure your iodine to see if you are low or high.  Both can trigger hypothyroidism.  Test through ZRT labs is $80 and you can order it yourself.

Dr. Hyman - Self care, not Healthcare.  Love this, why, because stress kills Bifido bacteria. It's really important for us to find things we enjoy, that help us reduce stress.  For me it's walking the dogs, doing yoga, stretching in the evening, even sipping on hot peppermint water.  AND this, altruism excites the same pathways in the brain that sugar does.  Go out and help someone else, it makes you feel so good, better than a donut.

Dr. Kharrazian - pretty much the same as the Digestion Sessions in terms of how to improve gut motility by stimulating vagal nerve.  But he also said, educate yourselves!!!  Which is so very important.

Mike Mutzel - I love him.  I have no issues with weight loss but wanted to hear him speak anyway.  Practice mindful eating - take some deep breathes before you begin and try to chew your food at least 40 times.  If you want to have a glass of wine, take Zinc Carnosine (75mg) to help mitigate the effects on your gut (my ND had me take it when I needed ibuprofen).  Zinc carnosine works by improving the communication between adjacent intestinal cells and makes them more cohesive (ie - prevents/heals intestinal permeability).  Eat the majority of your calories before 5pm.  Your gut is at it's lowest functioning in the evening so you don't want to be taking a huge meal in. The body need consistency - go to bed and get up around the same time every day.  This one kills me.  I would love to be a night owl and sleep a bit later but life just doesn't allow :)

Dr. LePine - I almost didn't listen to this one because I'm really tired of Donna Gates but I'm glad I did.  He talked in the beginning about how your oral bacteria can be linked to your gut bacteria. Oral dysbiosis is linked to gut dysbiosis.  You can get your oral bacteria checked out through OralDNA.com.  Sounds like your dentist has to order it for you.  Fusobacteria in the gut is related to periodontal disease.  Both my mom and sister have periodontal issues and I have had gum issues and guess what's elevated on my stool test? Fusobacteria!  Will have to figure out what I need to do to change that.  To deal with your oral bacteria dysbiosis one of the things you can use is an Hydrofloss (this is what I use - good to know I'm on the right track!).

I started to listen to Dr. Hanaway but to be honest, I'm fried!  I think I'll go read or sit quietly with no auditory stimulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment