Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sometimes you just have to fake it 'til you make it....

I am reminded of this whenever I listen to a podcast with Chris Kresser and he tells the story of his own recovery from parasites and intestinal woes.  He immersed himself in getting physically better, was uber strict diet and followed his protocol to the letter but still wasn't getting better.  Eventually he got tired of the isolation and decided this wasn't a life.  He started hanging out with friends again, loosened up on his diet a bit and he got better, stronger.  Social isolation isn't healthy.  Focusing on your illness doesn't help your stress level.  Sometimes you have to take a step back, breathe and just live.

It reminds me of my grandmother.  She was a hypochondriac, at least that's what you called it back in the day.  We couldn't wear ANY fragrance around her whatsoever.  No scented lotions on days we were going to see her, nothing.  Her big thing was asthma and the slightest thing would send her into a spell which would result in her being rushed to the hospital by ambulance and an overnight stay.  Funny thing is, she got Alzheimers/Dementia and the worse her mind got the better her health was.  No issues with asthma, not a complaint in the world.  She looked healthy, her hair shiny and her skin just glowed.  Not saying that losing your mind will cure all your woes, but finding ways to reduce your stress and forget your problems just might.

Yoga does this for me.  No one at any of the studios know that I have digestive woes, or autoimmune issues.  I walk in the door and I am just another yogi.  I pretend to be strong and healthy.  Even on days when I struggle both physically and mentally, I still feel better than when I am at home wallowing in misery.  Not that I'm miserable, that would be a total exaggeration, but it can be a real drag, you know.  And it's easy to get caught up in researching this protocol and that, talking to people on various online support groups, second guessing your every move.  I'm not saying you should all run out and join a yoga studio but maybe you should find an escape of some sort.  Something that you can enjoy without thinking "can I eat this" or "should I be taking that".  Start living a little.  Get some fresh air.  Be happy.  Or just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment