Thursday, December 11, 2014

Bitters

I use bitters before meals to help prepare my stomach to digest food.  I have problems breaking down protein.  Last week I ran out of my usual bitters and found an old bottle of Swedish bitters.  I started taking them 1/2t - 1t before meals.  After a few days I came down with horrible diarrhea.  I was also treating the infection in my breast so didn't connect the dots.  I decided since the bitters were old I would start with replacing them.  Super Supplements had a pretty limited selection of bitters unfortunately and I wasn't due to place any supplement orders online.  I picked up a bottle of the NatureWorks Swedish Bitters in the store and was reading the label (mine was too faded and wrinkled to read), there it was, Senna!  Senna is a freaking laxative.  These are what I purchased and have used in the past without any digestive upset.  I have also used Heron Botanicals bitters and like them but they are twice as expensive but I'm not sure I've noticed enough of a difference to make the cost worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment