Tuesday, September 2, 2014

My current go-to breakfast


2 or 3 eggs scrambled, with homemade low FODMAP salsa and 30g of avocado with a mug of hot chocolate (made with coconut milk, raw cacao powder and a touch of honey).  Good fat, little carbs and a nice amount of protein.  I either used canned coconut milk, organic with zero additives or I make my own in the Blendtec with shaved coconut and water, blend and strain through a fine mesh bag.

I make the salsa by slicing and roasting tomatoes, tomatillo and spicy peppers.  I use about 20-25% tomatoes and 75-80% tomatillos, based on size and vary the amount of spicy peppers depending on how much heat I want.  The baking sheet is coated with a garlic infused olive oil.  I haven't had a chance to infuse any coconut oil lately, it's what I prefer for cooking but hopefully will get to it this week.  Bake in the oven at 375 for about 10-15 minutes until they are soft and wrinkly, let them cool and then scrape them in the food processor with all the juice.  Add cilantro (half a large bunch), green onion (half to whole bunch with the ends cut off), lime juice (1/2 to whole lime) and cumin (up to a tablespoon) and process to the consistency you like.  I don't measure any of these things, just throw them together.  

I've also thrown together a bunch of frozen salsa packs in the freezer, one tomato in a quart freezer bag and fill the rest with tomatillos.  That way I can have salsa from our homegrown tomatoes this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment